Forgotten your pill or had unprotected sex? Maybe you're worried about something? Here's what to do and where to go if you need help urgently.

Sexually Transmitted Infections

If you have had unprotected sex (without a condom), there's a chance you could have caught a sexually transmitted infection (STI).

Arrange to get tested if you:

  • haven't got symptoms, but are worried you might have an STI
  • have symptoms, such as an unusual discharge
  • feel something is wrong

If you're sexually active, either stop having sex or make sure you use a condom until you know for sure whether or not you have an STI.

If you do have an STI, using a condom will help prevent passing it on. Your sexual partners should also get tested.

You can get free, confidential advice and treatment from your GP or specialist clinics in your area, even if you're under 16.

Hospitals often have sexual health clinics (also known as GUM clinics), which test for and treat STIs.

There are also lots of places that are set up especially for young people.

Most STIs can be easily treated, so don't be scared of having a test and finding you do have an STI. 

Find sexual health services near you

Possible Pregnancy

The first thing to do is find out for certain by taking a pregnancy test. The sooner you do this, the better.

There are lots of places where you can have a free pregnancy test and get confidential advice, even if you're under 16.

These includes:

  • some pharmacies
  • a sexual health clinic (GUM clinic)
  • a contraception clinic
  • some young people's services – call the national sexual health helpline on 0300 123 7123 for details
  • Brook centres – for under-25s
  • some GP surgeries

Find your nearest sexual health services

You can also buy a pregnancy test from pharmacies or some supermarkets, which you can do yourself at home.

Find out more about doing a pregnancy test


If you're pregnant and it's unplanned, you'll need to decide if you want to continue with the pregnancy.

If you decide to have an abortion, the sooner this is done, the easier and safer it is.

But you might want to take time making your decision, which is why it's important to find out if you're pregnant as soon as possible.

Nobody needs to know you're pregnant until you're ready to tell them.

You can ask to see a female doctor if it would make you feel more comfortable.

If you decide to continue with the pregnancy, you should start your pregnancy (antenatal) care as soon as possible.

This includes health checks for you and your baby. Your GP can discuss this with you.

Find out more about antenatal care

Unprotected Sex

If you have had sex without a condom or the condom splits or comes off, there's a risk of both pregnancy and STIs.

The best thing to do is act quickly. The quicker you act, the sooner you can prevent a pregnancy or get tested for an STI. 


You can get pregnant if you have sex without a condom or the condom splits or comes off.

In this case, to avoid pregnancy you can either:

  • take the emergency contraceptive pill, sometimes called the morning-after pill, up to 72 hours (3 days) or 120 hours (5 days) after having unprotected sex, depending on the type of pill
  • have an intrauterine device (IUD), sometimes called a coil, fitted up to 120 hours (5 days) after having unprotected sex

Take a pregnancy test if your next period doesn't arrive when you expect it to.

If you're having sex, don't rely on emergency contraception to stop you getting pregnant.

There are lots of contraceptive options you can choose from.

Talk to a nurse or doctor at a clinic or GP surgery about what type of contraception is right for you.


If you have sex without a condom or the condom splits or comes off, you're also at risk of getting an STI. 

If this happens and you're worried you have caught an STI, you can get confidential help and advice in your local area, as well as free testing for STIs, at:

  • a sexual health clinic (GUM clinic)
  • some community contraceptive clinics
  • some GPs

Find sexual health services near you


Chlamydia is one of the most common STIs in the UK.

It can be easily tested for and testing is free and confidential at a sexual health clinic or GP surgery.

You can also buy chlamydia testing kits to use at home, with free tests available online for 15- to 24-year-olds.

Find out where to get free chlamydia tests online (15- to 24-year-olds) in your area

Forgotten to take the pill?

You may not be protected against pregnancy if you have forgotten to take your pill.

This depends on the type you're taking, how many doses you have missed already, and how many pills are left in the packet.

Keep taking the pill and see your doctor, nurse or pharmacist as soon as possible for advice. Also use condoms for extra protection.

Find out what to do if you miss a combined pill and what to do if you miss a progestogen-only pill.

If you have trouble remembering to take a pill every day, you could consider using another method of contraception, such as the contraceptive implantcontraceptive injection or IUD.

This means you don't have to think about your contraception every day or every time you have sex.

Find out more about the different contraceptive methods

Will medication or being ill affect my pill?

If you take it correctly, at the right time on the right day, the contraceptive pill is 99% effective.

But certain things, such as being sick (vomiting), can stop it working properly.

Always read the leaflet inside the packet so you know what might affect it.

Some medicines can prevent the pill working properly. Always ask your doctor or pharmacist to advise you about this if they're giving you any medicines.

Find out more about taking the pill when you're sick or have diarrhoea

Sexual Consent Issues

If someone has forced or persuaded you into a sexual situation you're uncomfortable with, help is available.

You can call the national sexual health helpline free on 0300 123 7123. Your call will be treated with sensitivity and in strict confidence.

You can also contact a sexual assault referral centre (SARC), where you can get specialist support and medical care if you have been sexually assaulted.

A sexual assault can happen anywhere, including in your home, and is more likely to be carried out by someone you know rather than a stranger.

Find rape and sexual assault support services, including SARCs. 

You can also ask at your GP surgery, contraceptive clinic or sexual health clinic.

Find out more about what to do if you have been sexually assaulted or it's happened to someone you know.

Family Planning Association

They are a sexual health charity. They give straightforward information and support on sexual health, sex and relationships to everyone in the UK.

Telephone: 0300 1237123


Lincolnshire Sexual Health (LiSH)

The Lincolnshire Sexual Health Service is an available service to help provide guidance with all of the issues listed above.

The Lincolnshire Sexual Health service (LiSH) provides integrated sexual health and contraception services to the people of Lincolnshire.

LiSH is part of the Lincolnshire Community Health Services NHS Trust (LCHS) portfolio of services that offer great care, close to home through out of hospital care and urgent care, primary care and public health services.  LiSH is funded through the Lincolnshire County Council Public Health grant.

Lincolnshire Sexual Health, Lindon House, 134 Dixon Street, Lincoln, LN6 7TU